The Honors, Performance, Opportunity, and Provisional levels of the Hathaway Scholarship are Merit-Based, meaning that the levels are awarded based on student performance.
Students who need additional financial assistance may qualify for an additional Need-Based component, which supplements the Merit-Based components.
Unmet Need Amount used to determine need-based scholarship
- Start with the institution’s general cost of attendance before adjustments
- Subtract from COA, the Estimated Family Contribution determined by FAFSA
- Subtract Hathaway Merit Award
- Subtract any other grants or scholarships given to the student
- Subtract $2,000 Hathaway Scholarship required student commitment
- The final number is used to determine unmet need
For Performance, Opportunity and Provisional Opportunity scholarship levels, the amount awarded will be 25% of the annual unmet need or up to $1,575 annually. Honor level recipients will be awarded 100% of unmet need.
To see examples of how these may be calculated, click here. (PDF)
Watch a video about the Needs-Based Hathaway Scholarship
Questions about the Hathaway Scholarship?
Contact the Hathaway Scholarship Program or your school counselor today.